Sunday 3 October 2010

Multiple Facets of My Madurai. By Manohar Devadoss

Multiple facets of my Madurai



Manohar Devadoss



Published in 2007 by EastWest, an imprint of Westland Limited



This book was gifted to me by Usha, Krishnaswamy and Amudhan. A coffee table memoir by Manohar Devadoss, consisting of nearly 70 pen-and-ink drawings, supplemented by text written by him, describing either the circumstances under which the drawings were made, or the history of the building, or the technical aspects of the drawing, and so on. It is an excellent collection, a truly 'heritage' work. The drawings are fabulous, even without considering that Devadoss was/is nearly blind when he made them. The street scenes remind me of Madurai maama's house as I remember it in the 60's and 70's. A book worth preserving.


No comments:

Post a Comment