Wednesday 22 June 2011

Under Orders. By Dick Francis

Under Orders

Dick Francis

Berkeley Books, 2006

  Yawn! I don't know if its just me, or whether Dick Francis (like, say, Alistair Maclean, or even PGW) really wrote badly in his later years. This book is one of the last, I suppose, before his son started writing with (or for) him. Anyway this book has the usual indestructible hero, the usual nasty villian, the usual scene where the hero comes back from a seemingly hopeless position to violently turn the tables on the villian, the usual lovely, wonderful girl friend of the hero, etc. All these elements used to be attractive in his earlier books, but not any more. I think I should just stop reading Dick Francis.


PS. I just reread my earlier post on another Dick Francis. I had even then concluded that I should stop reading Dick Francis. But still I read this one. Maybe after a few months, I'll be ready for the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment